In the first article I read, “Finishable news” worked for The Guardian on iPad for 8 years. Will it draw new subscribers on phones?”

on Nieman, Laura Hazard Owen in October 2019. This article summarized is about the guardian and it’s very successful digital app launch for it’s newspaper. This is a big step forward for the company that was failing along with many of the other newspaper companies. This did the correct step in keeping their news constantly updated and to provide two different apps, one called Guardian Daily, which holds new finishable stories constantly. Guardian Daily is only available to subscribers in turn for benefits like no ads and offline reading. This compared to their app, The Guardian, which is a free for all app with paid tier benefits similar to Guardian Daily. This is a wonderful job on The Guardian’s part to switch over to the digital media word of journalism. It gives an option for unpaid news, some who only want to pay a little bit for some benefits, and those who want a full subscription to view the news constantly. This is a great step in the right direction and causing them to now gain money rather than lose money. They had this started for a small amount of digital readers in the past, but since they had a basis then they have a full format now, ready to send out overseas. I have always liked the Guardian, although I have not downloaded or used any of their apps, I do enjoy their online formats and stories and I am glad on how well they can now spread that.

“‘Touching the Future:’ Q&A with a pioneer on the vision and future of tablets 10 years after iPad”, a Q&A article written a few days ago on April 7th.


I personally find it hard to focus on small print articles and some interviews just due to format. This is just a personal issue caused by ADHD, but the story itself is interesting. Roger talked about his 2007 design for a newspaper tablet, and it came close to being true, but he didn’t account for costs of the tablet. It never went anywhere as more and more newspapers chose to create their own news apps at a cheaper price. The biggest hit for me was the talk of how the Ipads and tablets themselves did not last long. I see this as a completely true statement from my own experience. I remember growing up and everyone wanting an Ipad, but over time that died out, by the time I got my own Ipad I used it a few times before forgetting it existed, why use a large tablet to do everything your phone can do. Many are starting to switch over to this thinking of it can be done on your phone. You want the information at your direct fingertips where you can have it on you at all times to look at. When I think of tablets today, I think of my grandparents needing the larger screen, and little kids too young for a phone, but their parents hand them the tablet as a pacifier so the kids can watch youtube and play games all day.

Comments

Popular Posts